Friday, August 23, 2013

Cinnamon Chip Scones


Ever since I saw these cinnamon chip scones on How Sweet It Is, I've been dreaming about them. It did,  however, take me forever to make them because I couldn't find cinnamon chips anywhere. I looked all around Nashville and even Chattanooga, and still couldn't find them. One day I was flipping through my King Arthur Flour catalog and there they were, cinnamon mini baking chips. I ordered a bag and within days I made my first batch of scones. To die for, seriously.


Scones are so easy to make and they freeze well, so you can make a batch or two ahead of time. I'm totally making a batch for breakfast for the day after Thanksgiving. These will be great while standing in line on Black Friday!


Cinnamon Chip Scones
from: How Sweet It Is


3 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1/3 C. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 C. butter, cold
1 C. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. cinnamon chips


Preheat oven to 425.


Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in the cinnamon chips. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.


Divide the dough in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture, if desired. Cut into 8 wedges.


Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes.


This recipe makes 16 scones.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy