Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cheesy Orzo Pilaf


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I bought lamb chops for our holiday dinner, but because I was unsure of the number I'd be feeding, I ended up with more chops than guests at the table. I decided to grill the remainder of the chops tonight. Those we had for the holiday were delicious and I wanted to serve these with something that would compliment, rather than overpower, their marvelous flavor. I decided to make an endive and watercress salad and a very cheesy orzo pilaf. I can attribute the salad to Thomas Keller, but identifying the parentage of the orzo is next to impossible. Rachael Ray did a version of this recipe at least five years ago and since that time it has appeared in various guises on numerous cooking sites. I lack the wisdom of Solomon and have no easy test to establish paternity, so I'm just going to move along and pretend the orzo is a new version of rice pilaf. It is very easy to do and can be on the table in 15 minutes. Chances are you have all the ingredients you need to make this in your pantry, and, if not, they can all be found in any large grocery store. It is a perfect dish to serve with grilled meat or poultry and I know you'll enjoy it. Here's the recipe.


Cheesy Orzo Pilaf...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite


Ingredients:


3 cups low-sodium chicken broth


3/4 pound orzo


5 minced garlic cloves


1 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese


2 tablespoons finely minced parsley


salt to taste


freshly ground pepper to taste



Directions:


1) Bring broth to a boil in a large heavy saucepan. Add orzo and garlic and reduce heat to medium high. Simmer, uncovered, for about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, and broth is nearly absorbed.


2) Turn heat off, but leave the pan on stove. Add cheese and parsley and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Yangzhou Fried Rice - One Perfect Bite


Warm Asian-Style Rice Salad - One Perfect Bite


Sticky Rice - One Perfect Bite



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy