Saturday, September 28, 2013

Chicken Gumbo - Fil


I had a small, surprising triumph tonight. Before going any further, I want to extend an apology to any of my Southern friends who might find my victory lap or bow a bit premature. I stepped into their territory, if not their kitchens, and made gumbo tonight. Despite my years in the kitchen, this was a first for me. I love gumbo, but I found the making of roux off-putting. Armed with great directions, which you can find here, I decided to give it a try and I think I did alright. I made minor alterations to a recipe developed by Emeril Lagasse and was really pleased with the results. My only caution is that you need time to make this. It really is not difficult to prepare, but it needs watching and some of its elements take longer to cook than the recipe would have you believe. Most significantly, it took an hour, rather than 20 minutes, for my roux to become the color of chocolate. The trick is to get it to that chocolate color without burning the roux. If it burns you'll have to toss it. Despite that, I highly recommend this gumbo and hope you will try it. Here's the recipe.


Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with White Rice...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, inspired by Emeril Lagasse



Ingredients:


1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup vegetable oil


1 pound smoked andouille sausage, cut crosswise 1/2-inch thick pieces


4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed


1 tablespoon Creole seasoning


1 cup all-purpose flour


2 cups chopped onions


1 cup chopped celery


1 cup chopped bell peppers


1 teaspoon salt


1/4 teaspoon cayenne


3 bay leaves


9 cups low-sodium chicken broth


1/2 cup chopped green onions


2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves


1 tablespoon fil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy