Saturday, September 28, 2013

Couscous with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Feta Cheese


While I love to shop in warehouse stores, I limit my visits to them, to once or twice a month. The reason is simple. I'm infirm of purpose and constitutionally incapable of leaving them until I've spent the equivalent of a king's ransom. My weakness can be found in the food aisles. The store I frequent has gorgeous meat and fish and I'm lured by steaks and chops as surely as Jason was by the siren's song. My indulgence this past weekend was double cut lamb chops that I had purchased for a special dinner. While I had a lovely pilaf to accompany them, I also wanted to try a recipe for a Greek-style couscous that's been on my radar for a while now. I'm a poor judge of recipes like this because I don't like the texture of couscous, but I knew I could trust the opinions of my guests who neither share nor understand my aversion. The couscous was well-received, so I'm comfortable sharing this fast and flavorful dish with you. If you like couscous, I suspect you'll enjoy it prepared in this way. Here's the recipe.


Couscous with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Feta Cheese...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine


Ingredients:


1 cup boiling water


1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)


1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth


1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous


1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese


1/4 cup minced fresh parsley


1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano


1 tablespoon lemon juice


1 teaspoon water


1 teaspoon olive oil


Directions:


1) Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes.


2) Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Sir in couscous. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, or until broth is absorbed.


3) Drain and chop tomatoes. Add to couscous. Stir in feta cheese, parsley, oregano, lemon juice, water and olive oil. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 6 servings.



One Year Ago Today: Lime Marmalade



Two Years Ago Today: Watermelon Rind Pickles


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Couscous with Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini - The Flourishing Foodie


Couscous Salad - A Little Bit of Everything


Recipe for Whole Wheat Couscous with Saffron and Onions - Kalyn's Kitchen


Couscous with Toasted Pine Nuts - Sugar and Spice by Celeste


Mediterranean Couscous - Karma Cuisine



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy