Saturday, September 28, 2013

Curried Egg Salad



How many people are needed to take a good photograph of curried egg salad? Obviously, more than are in our home. We really did try, but this was the best of the worst photos. I just couldn't overcome the muddy cast the curry shed on the egg salad. The photo of our youngest grandsons, who will be visiting in August, is a ruse designed to draw your eye away from the delicious, but unphotogenic, sandwich filling. I've been experimenting with making my own curry powder since I learned we'd be traveling to India this fall. Once I had a powder Bob and I both liked, I needed to test it in recipes where it could be used. Egg salad was the simplest and most logical place to start. This salad is mildly spiced and has a really smooth and creamy texture that is pleasing to the tongue. That last is food gibberish that means it is pleasant and tastes good. It receives additional flavor from the juice and pulp of a small shredded onion, and it is delicious spread on a grainy bread. More finely chopped, it would also be perfect for crustless tea sandwiches. I like to make and refrigerate the salad about an hour before I plan to serve it. That gives the flavors an opportunity to blend while the salad chills. This is a very simple recipe that is dependent on the quality of the ingredients used to assemble it. I recommend the use of a mild curry powder and a good mayonnaise. When I don't make my own mayonnaise, I use the reduced fat brand that is sold at Trader Joe's. If you love egg salad as much as I do, I know you'll love this one. Here's the recipe.



Curried Egg Salad

Ingredients:

8 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons mild curry powder

1/2 teaspoon granulated suga

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

3 drops hot pepper sauce (i.e. Tabasco)Tabasco sauce

1 small onion, grated to yield 2 tablespoons puree

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions:

Combine chopped eggs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper. hot pepper sauce, onion puree and parsley in a large bowl. Mix well. Cover and chill until shortly before serving time. Yield: 8 sandwich size servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy