Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Epok Epok Malaysian Style Curry Puff


The disadvantage of frying any treat is that you left with so many cooking oil that if you don't use it it become a waste. I don't particularly want to waste my leftover oil that I used couple days ago to fry my Sufganiyot, so I made another fried snack. This time, I used the opportunity to make Epok - Epok or Malaysian Style Curry Puff. I actually bookmarked the recipe for quite sometimes, but never had the time to really put it into realization. I must say that I really like this snack, it reminds me of Indonesian snack called,  Pastel Goreng. Unlike Epok Epok, Pastel Goreng is much simpler to make, doesn't require rolling and folding the dough.  The filling is also differ, the most common is the combination of chicken, carrots, and mung bean noodle. So today, I marry them together, the pastry is Malaysian and filling is Indonesian. Hope you like it :)


If you like the potato filling, go straight to Samantha's blog. But, if you want to try my filling, you are welcome too. Use the measurement as a guidelines, and any leftover filling delicious  eaten with steam plain rice.


Epok - Epok, Malaysian Style Curry Puff


Recipe from Samantha Tan's


1 recipe for Epok Epok Pastry
1 recipe for filling, recipe follows
enough vegetable oil to fry the pastry (I used canolla oil)


Follow the  recipe on how to make the pastry as directed here.


For The Filling 


2 cups minced skinless chicken thigh
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup diced carrots
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
salt, to taste
2 cups mung bean spouts
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 - 2 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 tbs cornstarch mix with 2 tbs water


Fry shallots with 1 or 2 tbs oil over medium heat until translucent . Add minced chicken and garlic to the pan, break up any lumps with fork. Cook for 5 minutes, add carrots, season with nutmeg, white pepper, and salt. Cook for further 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Add mung bean sprouts, scallions, stir for 1 minute. Add cornstarch about a minute before finish. Cool completely.


When the filling is cooled, follow the direction to assemble the pastry here. Fry until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy