Saturday, September 28, 2013

Huevos Ahogados En Salsa Verde + Tomatillo Salsa Verde




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...While it is something I normally purchase, I made our salsa verde this summer. I wanted to control the heat the sauce contained for the young among us, and the only way that could be done was to make it myself. I found a recipe that that could be made hot or not and soon found myself making a batch of each to keep everyone happy. The sauce takes about 15 minutes to assemble and by controlling the number and type of chilies, I was able to make mild and hot sauce at the same sitting. I used stemmed and seeded jalapenos for the milder version but relied on Serrano chilies for the fire eaters in my gang. With so much sauce lying around I had to find ways to use the excess. While looking for recipes that would help me do that, I came across one for eggs poached in salsa verde and decided to give it a try. Conceptually, the recipe was very much like the one I use to make Eggs in Purgatory, so I suspected the dish would be quite good. It was. Because the eggs can't be made without salsa, today's post will feature two recipes. I'll start with the salsa and then move on to the recipe for the huevos ahogados, or "drowned eggs." Here are the recipes.



Tomatillo Salsa Verde...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Recipe Tips



Ingredients:


1 pound tomatillos, husked


3 jalape?os - fresh, seeded, cut in half


1/2 onion - quartered


1/2 teaspoon ground cumin


1/4 cup cilantro - chopped


1/2 teaspoon salt



Directions:


Combine tomatillos,onion and jalapeno in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until al dente rather than soft. Drain. Transfer vegetables to a blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator. Salsa can be kept refrigerated, three to five days. Yield: 2 cups.


Huevos Ahogados En Salsa Verde...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Michael Nankin



Ingredients:


3 cups tomatillo salsa, thinned to the consistency of tomato soup


4 eggs


Cilantro


Sea salt



Directions:


1) Bring salsa to a simmer in a small saucepan set over medium heat.


2) Carefully crack eggs into sauce. Cover pot and cook for 3 minutes. Remove lid and check to see if whites are completely cooked. If not, cover, and continue to cook until white is no longer transparent. Transfer eggs and a portion of the sauce to individual serving bowls. Garnish with cilantro and a pinch of sea salt. Serve with warm tortillas to mop up sauce. Yield: 4 servings.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Salsa Verde Bake - The Sweet's Life


Lamb Chops with Salsa Verde - Simply Delicious


Skirt Steak Salsa Verde - Foto Cuisine


Chicken Enchilladas Verdes - One Perfect Bite


Lentil Salad with Salsa Verde - Food 4 Thought


Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Sandwich - Closet Cooking



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy