Saturday, September 28, 2013

Killer Nachos


These nachos got their name because the better than pound of cheese used to make them will put you in an early grave. I jest. I think. My family is famous for prefacing the name of any snack made with more than three ingredients with the word "garbage". They mistakenly believe, despite having had the education of princes, that the word is an adjective. Hence, it happens that I have, on occasion, unwittingly served "garbage" from my kitchen. If it's really good garbage, they drop that descriptor and replace it with another of their favorites, "killer". I'm glad I know who their mother is, because there are times their parentage is definitely suspect. At any rate, nachos are a popular snack in this area and I've included them in my Super Bowl menu because so many of our friends expect them. Nachos, even killer nachos, are an assembled snack and once the chopping is done they are an easy game day treat. My recipe is much like all the others that I've seen, save for the fact that I use spicy pepper jack cheese in their assembly. I like the discreet heat the cheese adds to the nachos and it's an easy way to spice up the dish. This is something I make only when we have guests, and to assure that everyone, including the Silver Fox and me, gets at least a few of the fully loaded chips, I make one basket for every four people who are with us for the occasion. These are best constructed just before heating and serving, and it helps to make sure that those things you add to the mix are as dry as they can possibly be. I'm not a big fan of soggy anything and I've had some limp nachos in my time. I've borrowed the quantities used in this recipe from Squidoo, a community website. While the thought of a recipe for nachos may seem silly, it is a great help in determining the quantity of ingredients you need to feed a gang. So, without further ado, I give you the recipe for Killer Nachos.


Tomorrow marks the beginning of our chocolate extravaganza for Valentine's Day. Don't miss it.


Killer Nachos...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite and the gang at Squidoo


Ingredients:


1 pound lean ground beef


2 teaspoons chili powder


2 teaspoons cumin


Pinch of salt


1 small can refried beans or bean dip


1 10 or 12-ounce bag corn tortilla chips


1-1/4 pounds pepper jack cheese, grated


1 large onion, chopped


2 tomatoes, juiced and chopped


1 6-ounce can black olives, drained and chopped


Directions:


1) Brown ground beef in a medium skillet. Drain. Add chili powder, cumin and salt. Set aside.


2) Spread a thin layer of refried beans or bean dip over bottom of a platter or shallow, heat-proof bowl to anchor first layer of chips.


3) Then spread a layer of chips over beans, top with a layer of cheese, ground beef, onion, tomato and olives. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Or, since this recipe usually makes about 4 layers, you can divide all toppings into 4 portions for even layering.


4) Microwave on high until heated through, about 10 minutes, or bake at 375 degrees F. for 20-30 minutes. Serve warm with sour cream and guacamole dip, if desired. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Cajun Spice - One Perfect Bite


Simple Roasted Almonds - Design Wine and Dine


Super Bowl Snacks: Parmesan Crisps - My Man's Belly


Garlic Lime Chicken Wings - Life's Ambrosia


Spicy Garlic Hot Wings - Sea Salt with Food


Ranch Popcorn - 400 Calories or Less


Chili: A Game Day Classic for Super Bowl - The Delightful Repast



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy