Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kohlrabi and Turnip Fritter


When you have a small vegetable garden in your backyard, you kind of  want to try a new different variety of plant. Which, sometimes  you've never  heard or eaten it before. This is exactly happen to me. Sometimes, I grow thing just because I am attracted by its name, or the look. Take kohlarbi for instance. I plant this just because I was really intrigued by the shape its alone, so I sowed the seed last winter, by early spring, I was able to taste it. Surprised that they survived, not all succeeded, but it was good enough for beginner  like me. Another surprised was to found turnip heavily covered underneath my tatsois. Since I found only one turnip (I know turnip taste kind of plain), I decided to combine it with kohlrabi for my fritter. 


I don't really have the exact amount for the recipe, so use imagination and adjust according to you own judgement. 


Ingredients:
2 large kohlrabis, peeled - cut into matchsticks 
1 large turnip, peeled - cut into matchsticks
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup rice flour
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon coriander powder
salt and white pepper to taste
water as needed
Canola, or vegetable oil for frying


Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add water a little by little until you get the consistency you like, I like mine a little bit on the runny side as I don't want my fritter coated too heavily with dough (flour). 


Heat an iron skillet over medium high heat, once hot, add oil. Using a large spoon, scoop out the batter, and fry until golden and crispy. Transfer onto a cooling rack to drain the excess oil. Serve with Sriracha chili sauce if you like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy