Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kristys Kuih Talam Serve With Orange Scented Coconut


Have I ever told you that Kristy is an amazing home cook and baker? Well, I think I have, but I don't mind to remind you again that, she really is a good cook. The best thing to me is, each time I crave some Indonesian or Malaysian food, first thing I do is always check her blog, if she doesn't have the recipe in her blog, I just send her message to request it. Next thing I know, the recipe will be in her blog. It makes me feel so special for sure :).


I actually made this kuih talam a few times before, unfortunately, I happened to make it when my house was full of families, so I never had a chance to take photograph. So, when my house was empty and my craving of kuih talam kicking in, I used the opportunity to make it, then  took photograph peacefully. Thank you Krsity, your Kuih Talam is absolutely delicious!



Note: the texture and taste of this kuih is soft, and just enough of that  chewiness when you bite it. The taste is sweet and salty at the same time which I really like.


Kristy's Kuih Talam


Recipe adapted from Kristy's blog


make 1 (7 inches) square kuih


For Bottom Layer:


80 grams rice flour


40 grams tapioca flour


40 grams green bean flour


200 grams sugar


500 ml water


2 teaspoons pandan paste


For Top Layer:


60 grams rice flour


40 grams green bean flour


2 tbs tapioca flour


500 ml coconut milk


1 teaspoon salt


To Serve: 


1/2 cup freshly grated coconut


zest of 1/2 orange or zest of 1 lemon


2 teaspoon granulated sugar


Preheat your steamer over high heat stove.


Coat a 7 inches square cake pan with oil. Set aside.


In a medium sauce pan, add all ingredients for bottom layer. Set the pan over medium heat, and cook - stirring constantly until it becomes thicken. Pour into prepared pan, and place the pan in a steamer. Steam for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the top layer in a medium sauce pan. Set the pan over medium heat stove. Cook, stirring continuously until the mixture is thicken. Pour this mixture on top of the base layer, steam for 20 minutes.


Remove the pan from the steamer. Let cool completely in the pan before cutting into serving sizes.


In a small bowl, combine grated coconut, orange or lemon zest, and sugar. If desire, right before serving, top each individual kuih with about 2 teaspoons of this coconut mixture.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy