Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mushroom Monyet (Wild Mushroom En Croute)


I never entered any contest before, so when I found out the announcement at  Marxfoods about this mushroom contest, I didn't think twice about joining in. I commented to his blog to let him know that I was interested. The next thing I knew was this precious little package arrived at my house. Of course I was happy and excited to try them. The package consisted all of the ingredients needed for this recipe, they were perfect. I am very familiar with all of this mushroom with exception of black trumpet and matsutake, so I was glad that this two were included in the package. Whenever in season, I always try to buy fresh porcini, chanterelle, or morel, which is easily available in my grocery store. They are pricey, but worth every penny. When I cook with such a precious mushroom like this, I never really interested in adding too many herbs and spices that I would normally do in my cooking.  I always worry that the fragrant and spiciness will compete with the earthy flavor of this mushrooms. As for the pink peppercorn, you don't have to worry, the flavor is delicate, not too peppery spicy and has a tad of sweetness to it, so is not overpowering.



So here is my entry that I adapted from my own recipe created for my husband and my son so many years ago. This recipe has become a family recipe that I make from time to time, a recipe that I passed down to my sisters, brother, and to my son who is very much interested and likes to cook. And by the way, he can do a good job on braiding the pastry too :).


All mushrooms listed in this recipe can be purchase here.



Mushroom Monyet (Wild Mushroom En Croute)


Serve 8 as an appetizer or 4 as a main dish


~elra~


Ingredients:


1 sheet (about 8 to 9 oz) homemade or store-bought  puff pastry


1/2 oz dried matsutake


1/2 oz dried lobster


1/2 oz dried porcini  


1/2 oz dried black trumpet


1/2 oz dried chanterelle


7½ oz fresh shitake, discard the stems - sliced


1½ medium size onions, chopped


2 - 3 tbs olive oil


1/4 cup chopped parsley


4½ oz grated French gruyere


4 tbs cr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy