Saturday, September 28, 2013

Orange and Rhubarb Oatmeal Porridge


We've had rain for two days now. I'm talking periodic deluge, not the rare and gentle sprinkle that's usually associated with summers here in Oregon. Mornings are cold and it just seems weird to be running around in a lumberjack's hoodie trying to keep warm. It's July for Pete's sake. Now, I don't want to start a rumor, but I have a really uneasy feeling that summer has been stolen. Just the thought sends shivers up and down my spine. Our grandchildren will soon be here, and the thought of all of us housebound on this hillside is enough to make grown men weep. The Silver Fox has refused permission to publish the grown man weeping photo I planned to insert here, but to stay in my good graces he agreed to sample an oatmeal dish that I've been wanting to try. I've just been given the thumbs-up, so I can share it with you. The recipe was developed for Eating Well magazine. I've made some changes to their version because I thought the orange juice used in the recipe overpowered the other ingredients. In order to retain an orange flavor, I replaced the juice with a bit of zest and I think it worked well. This is a very nice way to start a damp and chilly day. The original recipe, Oatmeal-Rhubarb Porridge, can be found here. My version follows. I hope you will try it. The recipe can, of course, be doubled.


Orange and Rhubarb Oatmeal...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Eating Well Magazine


Ingredients:


2 cups nonfat milk


1/2 teaspoon orange zest


1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats


1 cup rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch pieces


1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Pinch of salt


2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, pure maple syrup or agave syrup


2 tablespoons chopped pecans or other nuts, toasted


Directions:


Combine milk, zest, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook at a very gentle bubble, stirring frequently, until oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts. Yield: 2 servings.



One Year Ago Today: Bow Ties with Sausage and Leek Sauce



Two Years Ago Today: Blue Moon Ice Cream


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Overnight Cold Oatmeal - The Joyful Kitchen


Vanilla Oatmeal - Ruminations on Food


Jamaican Oats Porridge - The Food Blog


Oatmeal Porridge - The Joy of Baking


Raw Mixed Berry Oatmeal Porridge - Not Quite Nigella



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy