Saturday, September 28, 2013

Red Pepper Relish



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The horror! Local berries of all sorts, have simultaneously appeared on the shelves of our farmer's markets and roadside stands. The berries are fully ripened and need immediate attention if their wonderful flavor is to be captured and preserved. I've pushed the raspberries and blueberries to the side for the time being, but I'm up to my elbows, literally, in flats of strawberries. My hands look like those of a surgeon in a trauma unit and words can't begin to describe the chaos that is currently my kitchen. I've been known to chuckle, sometimes discretely, at young managers who measured their own importance by the size of their staffs. I escaped that trap when I was working, but I've succumbed to ego in my kitchen. Forgive me, just this once, as I report my "body count." That would be 18 pints of freezer jam, 12 (1-gallon) bags of flash frozen berries, eight pints of raspberry syrup and five glorious desserts that I'll be sharing with you over the next few weeks. I was making strawberry salsa when I remembered this recipe that is based on one originally developed by Michael Symon. It is a sweet, deliciously spicy relish that can make eggs and sandwiches feel important. It's also great as an alternative topping for burgers or fish. For the record, the only thing it has in common with the strawberries is its glorious red color. I was thinking red today, and it made sense to make this before I restored order to the kitchen. Here's the recipe for a wonderful and uncommon relish. It will keep for a month in the refrigerator.


Red Pepper Relish ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, inspired by Michael Symon


Ingredients:


1 tablespoon olive oil


1/4 cup finely diced red onion or shallot


2 large garlic cloves, finely minced


Kosher salt


2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and finely diced


2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced


1 tablespoon toasted coriander seeds


1/4 cup packed brown sugar


1/4 cup white wine vinegar


1/2 cup orange juice


1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Directions:


1) Add olive oil to a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and warm until oil begins to shimmer. Add onions, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add red peppers and jalapenos and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add corainder seeds and cook for 1 minute longer.


2) Add sugar and vinegar to pan and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add orange juice and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid has completely reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. Add cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate. Yield: 2 cups.


You might also like these recipes:


Blueberry Salsa - One Perfect Bite


Watermelon, Black Bean and Corn Salsa - One Perfect Bite


Thai Cucumber Relish - One Perfect Bite


Corn Relish - SlashFood


Green Tomato Relish - Mommy's Kitchen


Mango, Red Pepper and Cilantro Salsa - Cook Sister


Mango Chutney - Ciao Chow Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy