Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Roasted Cornish hen Stuffed With Dried Figs Walnut And Sumac Serve With Tomato Rice Pilaf



Very light chicken dish that doesn't require a lot of time in preparation. I like to use cornish hens as usual because it is much lighter and tastier then the regular roasting chicken. The funny thing is, although I don't really care much of the dried one, for some reason, I always have dried figs in my pantry, I am not sure why. I know for sure that, I am crazy with fresh fig, I can eat tons of these exotic fruit in one sitting. Anyway, when I tried to make this dish, I thought it would be nice to add some dried figs, and hoping it would be a hit in my family. I am glad it did! My family enjoyed this new chicken dish that I created for them. I am not sure if it had anything to do with other ingredients, but everything seemed too balance each other. So, you'll be the judge and let me know if you like it as well, okay?


Roasted Cornish Hen Stuffed With Dried Figs, Walnut And Sumac
~elra~



Serve 4


2 small cornish hens (total weight about 2¾ pounds)
5 dried figs
¼ cup chopped walnut
2 tbs pomegranate molasses
3 tbs olive oil
2½ tsp sumac
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Freshly chopped parsley, optional


  • Preheat oven to 400⁰F



  • Wash cornish hen under cold running water, pat dry with paper towel. Set on a baking pan.



  • Pureed the dried fig on a food processor, transfer to a small bowls and add chopped walnut, pomegranate molasses, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoon sumac, freshly ground black pepper, and salt. Mix to combine. Stuff this mixture into the cavity of each hen, including under the breast skins. Drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with sumac about ¼ teaspoon on each hen.



  • Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the hens are completely done. Serve with tomato rice pilaf and vegetable of your choice


Tomato Rice Pilaf
Recipe adapted from "Arabesque" Claudia Roden


Serve 4
1½ cups basmati rice
1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 tsp sugar (I didn't use any)
salt and black pepper
½ stick butter (4 tablespoon) butter, cut into small pieces


  • Wash the rice with clean water for a few times until the water is starting to get clear, then soak in the water for a few minutes.



  • Quarter the tomatoes, remove the hard white bits near the stem end, then puree in a food processor. Measure the resulting tomato puree and add enough water so you have 2⅔ cups. Pour into a pan, crumbled in the bouillon cube, sugar (if using), salt and pepper, then bring to a oil.



  • Add the rice to the pan, stir well. Cover the pan, and simmer on low heat for 18 to 20 minutes until the rise is tender and all the liquid absorbed. Add butter pieces, and fluff with fork. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy