Saturday, September 28, 2013

Salt Rubbed Roast Chicken





When I began to explore the possibilities of blogging, one of the first sights I discovered and tracked was Wandering Chopsticks. In addition to fantastic recipes, the site provided invaluable information on how to start a blog. I probably wouldn't be here now if it weren't for that information. I again tapped into the blog before Bob and I left for Vietnam and began our travels through Southeast Asia. I can tell you now, that in my very humble opinion, this is the best collection of Vietnamese recipes that I've ever found. What is equally delightful are the wonderful Western recipes the site contains. Though I've made the requisite changes to legally call today's recipe my own, that simply wouldn't be true. The concept and execution belong to Wandering Chopsticks. I hope you'll take a look at her recipe for Basic Baked Chicken. Since finding her recipe, I no longer brine my chickens before roasting and rely, instead, on a salt rub to provide flavor and keep the chickens moist. This is very easy to do and the best part of it is that the technique can be used for turkeys as well. I love poultry prepared this way. Here is my adaption for salt rubbed chicken. I hope you'll give it a try. I know you'll be hooked if you do.

Salt Rubbed Roast Chicken

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken

1 teaspoon of coarse garlic salt per pound of chicken

1 teaspoon coarse cracked fresh black pepper

2 lemons, divided use

6 garlic cloves, smashed

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

Directions:

1) Rub chicken, inside and out, with garlic salt and black pepper. Place on paper toweling and sit at room temperature for one hour.

2) Squeeze juice of 2 lemons over chicken. Place lemons shells inside chicken with crushed garlic cloves and tarragon.

3) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook chicken, breast side down, for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Turn chicken breast side up and bake for about another hour, or until skin is crisp and golden. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 to20 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy