Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sambusak With lamb Filling




For this Sambusak, I used pastry dough recipe that I found from Martha Stewart website. I was pretty satisfied with the result, it was buttery, crumbly, a little bit crunchy from the addition of semolina flour. I also found out that there are many different variety of sambusak. Some, using pastry dough like what I have here, and some using some kind of pizza or bread dough. You can also put some cheese filling if you wish, but, I like mine with meat or poultry.


Sambusak With lamb Filling
~elra~


I forgot to count how many sambusak yield for this recipe, it was a lot, probably about 25 to 30 sambusak.


1 recipe for sambusak pastry dough
1 lb ground lamb
1 onion, diced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
handful of pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 egg yolk
1 tbs milk
sesame seeds


  • Prepare the pastry as directed in the recipe. Set aside.

  • Fry the onion until browned, add the lamb, cumin , and ginger. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool, then mix in the pine nuts.

  • Preheat oven to 350F.

  • Roll out the pastry to about ¹⁄₈-inch thick, then cut into 3 inches circle. Fill the middle of each circle with 1 to 2 tbs lamb, fold the pastry to enclose the filling, press the edges and form into a half moon shape. Arrange on a baking sheet.

  • Make the egg wash: mix the yolk and milk in small bowl. Brush sambusak with eggwash, sprinkle the top of each sambusak with sesame seeds. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.





note:
I didn't have any pine nuts at the time I made this sambusak, but I include it in the recipe because it really give a nice texture and more delicious flavor.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy