Saturday, September 28, 2013

Turnip Griddle Cakes


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I periodically have a taste for something outside my culinary comfort zone. It doesn't have to be gourmet or high-end, just different. Today was one of those days. Cabin fever, triggered by a rain of deluge proportions, sent me to my cookbooks. I was looking for a recipe, that while unusual, wouldn't involve a trip to the store and could be made from ingredients I had in my pantry or freezer. I had turnips that I wanted to use before they became fodder for the compost heap and I found a, new to me, recipe in Savoring America, a Williams-Sonoma cookbook. For whatever reason, I don't often cook turnips. I remember disliking them as a child and the only time I've used them as an adult was in a lovely, but fat-packed, turnip bisque. This offering is much healthier. I'm really happy to report that these unusual griddle cakes are fast, easy and really delicious. The crisp exterior masks a surprisingly creamy interior that is wonderfully flavorful. I certainly would make these again. Here's the recipe.


Turnip Griddle Cakes...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Williams-Sonoma's Savoring America


Ingredients:


2 packed cups peeled, shredded turnips (about 1 pound)


2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup melted butter, divided use


1 cup half-and-half (whole milk may be substituted)


1 large egg


1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


1 cup all-purpose flour


Garnish:


Sour cream (optional)


Minced fresh chervil (optional)


Directions:


1) Place turnips in a medium bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons butter.


2) In another large bowl, beat half-and-half with egg and salt. Stir in flour and mix just to combine. Add turnips and fold until evenly coated.


3) Heat a large, heavy frying pan or griddle. Coat bottom with enough of reserved butter to prevent sticking.


4) For each griddle cake, spread a heaping spoonful of batter on grill to form a 3-inch cake. Fry, turning once, until both sides are a deep brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm in a low oven until all batter has been used. Serve immediately with sour cream and chervil if desired. Yield: 20 to 24 3-inch cakes.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Turnip Gratin - Poor Girl Gourmet


Scalloped Turnips - Simply Recipes


Turnip Cake - Appetite for China



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy