Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Whipped Spelt Bread



I was intrigued, truly intrigued by Ilva's choice to chose whipped spelt bread for this month BBB monthly event. It was not a regular bread with kneading, folding and stretching techniques, but whipping it in an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Skeptical? Yeah, me too. But, I made it. I  used only half of the recipe given, and didn't alter the ingredients. I completely understand why it could be whipped in an electric mixer without breaking your whisk attachment. The dough was soft (mine was a bit thicker then pancake batter), perhaps I needed to whip a little longer? Of course I couldn't help to feel a little worry. So I posted my concern on BBB facebook group, and got 3 responds to convinced me it should be okay, and that they had the same problem as well. I was convinced, I refrigerated my dough overnight. The following morning, I hoped for a little miracle, sighed ... the dough was still runny. But, I was still determined to continue, so I let the dough sit at room temperature for 2 hours. I could see that the dough started to look happy, had lots lots of bubbles, unfortunately still too impossible to worked with. Now,  this is the part that I was giving up and felt that I needed to adjust (I'm sorry), so I returned the dough back into container and added more spelt, mix it and let it rest for 40 minutes. after resting for 40 minutes, I fold the dough twice every 40 minutes. After the last fold, I gave it another 1 hour rest. I shape the dough into batard, give it the last rest for 40 minutes before baked it in a preheated 450F oven for 25 minutes.


I am sorry that I could not perfectly followed the recipe given by Ilva. But, cooking or baking is pretty forgiving, no? It is okay (in my opinion) to adjust the recipe to make it work for you, so I hope I don't offend anyone by doing so.  To make the original Whipped Spelt Bread recipe, please visit Ilva's blog at Lucillian Delights. 


Thank you to Ilva fo choosing a delicious bread to bake for BBB. Despite my failing to follow the recipe to the letter, this spelt bread was utterly delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy