Saturday, September 28, 2013

Yucatan-Style Chicken Lime and Orzo Soup



"Come tip toe through the tulips with me." Really. I'm serious. We spent the day at a tulip fest held by a grower in our area and we had a really fantastic time wandering through 3000 acres of gorgeous, glowing color. We left early and returned late, so dinner, while necessary, was problematic. The cast iron stomachs of youth are just that and after a day of corn dogs, currywurst, and elephant ears, our digestive systems need some pampering to neutralize the grease and sugar we managed to consume while making merry. I'm like Mrs. Pac Man at these events. I have to taste everything that's being sold. I am not fond of corn dogs, but they smell so good my olfactory senses convince my brain that the culinary equivalent of a miracle has occurred and this time the corn dog will be delicious. Of course they never are and they are just the beginning of the problem. Smell those curly fries? I'm there in seconds. Blue cotton candy? I'm weak in the knees. Bob jokes, I hope, that it's less expensive to take me to the opera than a fair. After a day of such excess something light and palate cleansing is in order and this soup is perfect on both those counts. It's a quick fix meal that is perfect for a light spring supper. I found the recipe years ago in a copy of Bon Appetit magazine. They say the soup comes from the Yucatan. That may be, but I suspect it came from a resort rather than a native kitchen. Regardless, it is a lovely soup. I hope you'll try the recipe.

Yucatan-Style Chicken, Lime and Orzo Soup

Ingredients:

3/4 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium white onion, thinly sliced

6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

2 jalape?o chiles, thinly sliced

3/4 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into matchstick-size strips

5 cups low-salt chicken broth

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1 large tomato, seeded, chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Fresh cilantro sprigs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy